31.31 Parent or Carer Involved in Sex Work
Last reviewed in October 2018
Next review in October 2022
Involvement of family members in sex work does not necessarily mean children will suffer Significant Harm.
The risks to the children in these circumstances come from the following potential sources:
- Exposure of the child to unsuitable adults and sexual activity / materials, especially if the parent works from home;
- Emotional, physical or sexual abuse of the parent or any behaviour in another adult which leaves the parent involved in sex work in fear;
- The child being left alone whilst the parent is working;
- The child being left with responsibility for younger siblings;
- Inconsistent care - e.g. if the parent is imprisoned;
- Factors associated with Parental Substance Misuse Procedure and/orParental Mental Health Procedure.
The child protection procedures described in Section 4, Response to Child Protection Referrals apply in these circumstances.
0330 222 5296
This page is correct as printed on Wednesday 12th of August 2020 04:40:07 PM please refer back to this website (http://sussexchildprotection.procedures.org.uk) for updates.